Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Journal 5: Twitter Fever

Well, to be quite honest with you ever since the twitter fever arrived I have never been interested in it. I always thought I was way too boring of an individual to burden people with my every move, life decision, life event, etc. The twitter I was exposed to was that of celebrities, professional athletes, rock stars and DJs, all of whom were in a different part of the world every other day, or at least it seemed liked it. Hence, I stayed away from twitter and stuck with the other popular social media networks such as Facebook and Tumblr. When Dr. McGarvey told us we were going to create twitter accounts I was rather skeptical, however, after a week of it I kind of started to like the idea of tweets in regards to professional learning communities. As you can see in the image above, twitter can be for ANY ONE. As a Physical Education teacher I find myself relating to the bird with a sweatband as well as the one with the glasses seeing as I am continuing my education. During the first week of using Twitter I took it upon myself to follow about 8 twitter accounts:

  • ThePhysicalEducator
  • PE Geeks
  • i-PhysEd.com
  • Physed Ideas
  • PE Scholar
  • SPARK
  • PhysEd Games
  • Crossfit Kids
The neat thing about the accounts I chose to follow was that they all had a separate website that had great resources for PE educators. I had no problem finding any of these accounts because as soon as you follow one, twitter gives you options on related accounts- "Who to Follow." My "tweets" feed consisted of updates from each of the accounts I am currently following. I had access to a lot of videos of lesson ideas, documents with PE rubrics, notices for when a particular PE chat of a particular topic was going to take place, etc. It's incredible how technology can give us all unlimited opportunities to develop in our profession! It really is true-technology is available to us at the touch of our fingertips. This is one thing I might be likely to keep up even after the quarter ends just because it is so easy, hopefully I can extend my networking to another level so that I can excel and grow in my profession as a Physical Education educator.


No comments:

Post a Comment